TAG: perl

Side projects, books, technology and anything else I feel like writing about

CPAN Pull Request Challenge - July

For July, I was assigned MojoMojo which is a content management system that borrows concepts from wikis and blogs. It maintains a full tree-structure of pages and allows you to interlink them in various ways. It has full version support, AJAX preview while editing, tagging, built-in full-text search, image galleries, and RSS feeds for every wiki page. Installing this module via cpanm required quite a bit of manual interaction, but it was primarily for the module's…

CPAN Pull Request Challenge - June

For June, I was assigned Path::Resource which is a module for combining local file and directory manipulation with URI manipulation. It allows you to effortlessly map local file locations to their URI equivalent. I looked at the CPANTS Kwalitee report and noticed three core metrics that I could fix to improve the module's Kwalitee rating. There were POD errors, which I found with a simple shell command: After the POD errors were fixed, I updated…

YAPC:NA 2015

I attended YAPC:NA 2015 in Salt Lake City, UT from June 8-10. This was my second YAPC and was every bit as enjoyable as the first. It was also in a great spot for me to add a bit of vacation to the conference and visit some family. If you do nothing else watch this, it was by far the most memorable event this year. It's too bad the audio was not right on the…

CPAN Pull Request Challenge - May

For May, I was assigned Compiler::Lexer which is a Lexical analyzer for Perl 5. There were a number of issues available and after reading through them I found an issue with an example that looks like code I've written myself many times: my @chars = split //, $what; This problem seemed straight forward, so I decided to work on Issue #26. This distribution is primarily written in C++ and has a few large Enums, arrays and hashes…

CPAN Pull Request Challenge - April

For April, I was assigned App::ModuleBuildTiny which is "a standalone authoring tool for Module::Build::Tiny". This module had seven ready made issues ripe for the picking. The oldest issue Add tests simply wanted some tests other than those provided by the basic compile tests. I created a basic test suite that touched every action and subroutine, and the majority of branches. With that done, I submitted my April Pull request.…