TAG: project

Side projects, books, technology and anything else I feel like writing about

Navigation

Advent of Code

I have been learning Clojure and I am currently working through Clojure for the Brave and True. When I am learning a new language I like to have small challenge problems to solidify what I'm learning and to force me to solve practical problems. Learning to interact with the language via command line, handling file I/O, and web interaction is extremely important and these small problem lend themselves to those activities. In the past I…

CPAN Pull Request Challenge - December

For December, I was assigned Crypt::OpenSSL::VerifyX509 which is a simple verify-cert module, in XS. It provides certificate verification, along the lines of "openssl verify". The module itself is very small and I was unable to find a TODO or any obvious functionality improvements, but I noticed there were a few changes that could improve the kwalitee report. So, I pulled the repo and made the following changes: Changed Makefile.PL permissions to…

CPAN Pull Request Challenge - November

For November, I was assigned App::autotest which is a program that monitors your tests and runs them whenever they are updated or created. The GitHub repo had a number of existing issues and I chose the one that seemed to be the most devastating -> program crashes horribly if test programs don't exist #9. One new test and one new line of code later, I submitted my pull request.…

CPAN Pull Request Challenge - July

For July, I was assigned MojoMojo which is a content management system that borrows concepts from wikis and blogs. It maintains a full tree-structure of pages and allows you to interlink them in various ways. It has full version support, AJAX preview while editing, tagging, built-in full-text search, image galleries, and RSS feeds for every wiki page. Installing this module via cpanm required quite a bit of manual interaction, but it was primarily for the module's…

CPAN Pull Request Challenge - June

For June, I was assigned Path::Resource which is a module for combining local file and directory manipulation with URI manipulation. It allows you to effortlessly map local file locations to their URI equivalent. I looked at the CPANTS Kwalitee report and noticed three core metrics that I could fix to improve the module's Kwalitee rating. There were POD errors, which I found with a simple shell command: After the POD errors were fixed, I updated…